Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What Sells?


Everything has a market. The market may be small but there is a market for it. Now if you want to sell you have to pick a market where there are a good number of buyers. I focus a lot on healthcare as I have worked in this market for 15 years. I am comfortable in the O.R. or any other place in the hospital so this is my main niche. Yes I shoot lots of other stuff but not many people have the medical clips I do because of who I know and the access I can get. So if you want to sell think of your niche, who do you know? What do you have access to that many others do not? Always keep in mind that people like to see people. That is why it is so hard to make it as a nature photographer only. If you want to succeed in commercial stock you need people in your shots! If you are shy and don't like working with people then commercial stock will be a tough road for you to earn serious income! Since there is a market for everything then when you shoot focus on doing it better. Shoot in the morning and evening if outdoors. Think concepts and angles, tell a story and make sure your clips have a focus. Ask yourself if you would buy what you are shooting! Do I nail all of this every time? No, but i work towards it every time I go out to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment